[digiKam-users] Bad, ok and I like it

Anders Kamf digikam at kamf.se
Wed Nov 18 20:12:09 GMT 2020

Hello!

@Thomas D:
I use a combination of rating and tags for this purpose (to select pictures
from multiple albums to be shown to other people).
-First I apply rating as a way to sort out the best pictures in the
specific album (hence, five stars means the top selected pictures in that
single album)
-If a picture is valid to see only in when watching pictures from that
specific album, it gets a tag "Album-internal" (like a blurry but the only
picture of a birthday cake, valid when looking through the photos from that
birthday)
-If a picture is purely for documentation purposes, it gets a tag
"Unsightly"
-If a picture is qualified for like "best shots of the year", it gets a tag
"Selected"

Then I can easily perform a search in the database to get for instance all
"Selected" pictures from 2019. Or all the top sorted pictures ever. In
these searches, I make sure to exclude all pictures that are tagged
"Album-internal" or "Unsightly".

Note: If I have been on a trip or another occasion, I tag all the pictures
with a tag telling which occasion it is. E.g. "2019-TripToAsia". Then it is
easy to make a search for top sorted or "Selected" pictures from that
occasion, even when they are spread out in several albums.

Kind Regards
Anders