[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

Peter Teuben teuben at gmail.com
Sat May 30 04:30:49 BST 2020

flatpak run com.github.tchx84.Flatseal

I use kubuntu, and it doesn't seem to be well integrated with it, or I
didn't install enough infrastructure to make it findable via a gui. So I
had to do the commandline way.

But before you sent this email, I googled around a bit, and I found this
to work for me:

sudo flatpak override org.kde.digikam --filesystem=/a7
sudo flatpak override org.kde.digikam --filesystem=/Photos

Especially the latter is a bit odd, since I have to symlinks in /Photos
to /media USB drives..... weird.

But to add to the confusion, those manually set directories are not
stored in the things listed in the flatseal app. Perhaps that just
"me"   (i didn't sudo the flatpak instlall) vs. the override , wihch
required me to use sudo.

*I can't possibly be the only one struggling with this, so we should
make these reminders available for the flatpak newbies. *I'm sure it's
all very powerful, but I'm still a bit underwhelmed.

A final warning: as said, I use KDE based kubuntu, and I found flatpak
is using ~/.var/app/org.kde.digikam/config/digikamrc and
~/.var/app/org.kde.digikam/config/kdeglobals

I guess one could be nasty and symlink it back to your personal version
in ~/.config, but I guess that could break if the flatpak KDE version
differs from the system KDE version.

peter

PS:   in kubuntu there is a Flatpak backend that can be installed in
their Discover tool. But surprise, surprise, you need to restart the
system, so I'll do that some other time to continue this adventure.