[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

noname at fastmail.net noname at fastmail.net
Sat May 30 00:46:54 BST 2020

I guess I'll wait for some of these issues to subside before trying the Flatpak version. Flatpak, Appimage, or more fundamental assembles, this is a fantastic piece of software for which I'm very thankful to have.

Best to all,

Jay Rutherford

On Fri, May 29, 2020, at 19:39, Peter Teuben wrote:
> thank you Mica,

>  although it makes sense, this didn't seem to solve the problem. And of the 3 folders that are visible, one of them is already on another partition.

> Here's the start of when I run: flatpak run org.kde.digikam

> Note that the directories
>
>  '/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share'
>  '/home/teuben/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share'
>
>  are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, so
>  applications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your desktop until the
>  session is restarted.
>
>  QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "h"
>  QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "help-all"
>  QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "v"
>  KMemoryInfo: Platform identified : "LINUX"
>  KMemoryInfo: TotalRam: 16680484864
>

> the "flatpak list" command tells me

> Name Application ID Version Branch Installation
> Flatseal com.github.tchx84.Flatseal 1.5.3 stable system
> default org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 19.08 system
> Intel org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel 19.08 system
> openh264 org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.0 system
> Glimpse org.glimpse_editor.Glimpse 0.1.2 stable system
> GNOME Application Platform version 3.36 org.gnome.Platform 3.36 system
> Breeze Gtk theme org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze 3.22 system
> KDE Application Platform org.kde.Platform 5.14 system
> digiKam org.kde.digikam 7.0.0-beta3 stable system

> On 5/29/20 7:15 PM, Mica Semrick wrote:
>> Install the application "flatseal" from flathub, then grant digikam access to your extra disks/filesystem location.
>>

>> On May 29, 2020 10:16:37 AM PDT, Peter Teuben <teuben at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> this is great news, certainly for trying out the beta.

I do have a failure mode.  I have 7 albums in my albumRoot, 4 of those
will get flagged by this version and claim not to exist, eg.

digikam.database: Folder does not exist or is not readable:
"/Photos/albums2"
digikam.database: Folder does not exist or is not readable:
"/a7/teuben/Pictures"

the first one is a true symlink, but the 2nd is a real mounted
directory, so it's not that mount/bind issue I've seen with snaps.   If
I use this digikam4.db, the old digikam 6.4.0 acts worse:  it sees the
albums, but sees 0 photos, so starts this hours long process of
reloading the database. No good for me.

I guess I should try the latest appimage as well?

- peter

On 5/29/20 6:29 AM, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> [...]

 digiKam is now avaialble on FlatHub :

 https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.kde.digikam

 Best

 Gilles Caulier

 Le lun. 25 mai 2020 à 17:49, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]

 https://github.com/flathub/flathub/pull/1544#pullrequestreview-417884061

 Gilles Caulier

 Le lun. 25 mai 2020 à 15:09, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]

 Another important point : the Flatpak do not include yet the
 application translations files. It's relevant by the missing
 sunversion executable on the KDE server.

 And yes, all translations team from KDE project still to use
 subversion to host i18n data.

 As whole KDE migrate progressively from an own git/svn servers to
 gitlab, i read that i18n will also migrate to git in the near future.
 So wait and see...

 Best

 Gilles Caulier

 Le lun. 25 mai 2020 à 12:04, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]

 I just updated the Flatpak notice page on digikam source repository :

 https://invent.kde.org/graphics/digikam/-/tree/master/project/bundles/flatpak

 digiKam Flatpak is now compiled with ALL non-deprecated options,
 including Web services using KIO. Look like the application resume is
 well documented now, with plenty of screenshots.

 By non deprecated, i want mean the 2 ones : Baloo and Akonady
 supports. Both make a mess with digiKam (especially Baloo).

 As i read, Flatpak is able to notify users when a new version is
 published. I don't yet verified if it work well.

 On Flatpak, it's possible to rate and review the application. So don't
 hesitate to promote the application.

 My best

 Gilles Caulier

 Le dim. 24 mai 2020 à 12:24, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> a écrit :

> [...]

 I would to give some feedback about the digiKam bundles migration advance...

 The current files provided by the project are listed below :

 - Linux AppImage 64 bits
 - Linux AppImage 32 bits
 - Macos Package installer 64 bits (based on Macports)
 - Windows installer 64 bits (compiled with MXE - MinGW)
 - Windows installer 32 bits (compiled with MXE - MinGW)

 Current problems for these bundles are listed below :

 - AppImage : not signed, do not support KIO extensions, do not support
 ICU (language extension), not published on official repository.
 - MacOS package : It's not relocatable, even if MacOS support well
 this feature. I don't found the time to finalize yet the install
 relocation support in bash script. Package is not published on MacOS
 store.
 - MXE Windows installer : not signed, not published on Windows store.
 Do not support KIO extension.

 But we have a new one starting to work and i working on : FlatPak

 This one is signed, published of official repository automatically
 (you can install it on Discover application for ex). It support ICU
 and KIO too... FlatPak is compiled on KDE infrastructure nightly and
 automatically. Only a 64 bits version is supported.

 This want mean that AppImage end of life is near. We will still
 publish officially the AppImage until 7.0.0, but later, if FlatPak do
 the job as well, AppImage will be dropped...

 For Windows, all the digiKam code compile fine under Microsoft Visual
 C++ compiler. This is the goal to obtain a signed and published
 version on Microsoft store. You can imagine that Microsoft will only
 support the official Windows compiler, and not GCC to permit to sign
 and publish application on the store. Don't forget, Microsoft is well
 Closed Source (:=))))

 Microsoft compiler is just the hell. It slow and require a Windows
 operating system. The current cross compilation solution that we use
 work fully under Linux, and compilation time are reduced by 4/5 ! A
 full Linux Workflow is a non virus guaranty !

 The Visual C++ workflow is also only available on 64 bits and is
 computed on KDE infrastructure, but the installer compilation is
 broken due to a weird configuration on KDE infrastructure. I currently
 try to found a work around.

 Personalty, i don't want to left MXE solution for the moment.

 For MacOS, the KDE infrastructure based on Craft compilation framework
 will be a solution to sing and publish a relocatable package for
 Apple. digiKam do not compile yet due to  missing dependencies.

 Voilà, i hope to be enough clear with these technical points.

 My best