[digiKam-users] updating pictures outside of digikam?

Peter Teuben teuben at gmail.com
Mon May 25 16:28:37 BST 2020

I sometimes wind up doing certain things outside of digikam, and here I
have a case I don't quite understand why it doesn't work exactly as I
think it should.

I should add that in the collections tab I have the options tagged that
monitors albums for external changes (and it says this needs a restart).
So when I add or delete pictures, digikam nicely tracks that.

My problem is when I have a symlink to a photo, then add a caption, it
shows up locally in the symlink location. but it doesn't show up at the
source. Even after a restart. It must be in there, as I refresh the
folder with the symlinks, it shows the caption.  I've also confirmed the
source photos have the captions, the timestamps were changed, exiftools
shows it, but digikam doesn't show the caption that was added via the
symlink .... Is there another way to rebuild the captions in the DB ?

But isn't this a bug?  I just ran into something similar with snaps,
they cannot handle a home directory which is a symlink (apparently mount
with the bind option might resolve that). So there's another reason not
to use snaps for digikam :-)

- peter

PS: since I have my photos organized by yyyy/mm/dd folders, the folder
with symlink is a folder that collects all photos taken on a given date
(e.g. May 25, but any year).  This is not in the advanced search
options, and in the timeline this is doable, but very difficult.