[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun May 24 21:38:26 BST 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 01:18:15PM -0700, Mica Semrick wrote:

> On 5/24/20 12:57 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> > It seems all wrong to me somehow.
>

> Perhaps you should read more about flatpak if you do not understand it.
>
> > Either (like Appimage) you download a file (downloading any old way
> > you want, you usual way of doing it, ftp, wget, whatever) and it's a
> > standalone program with no dependencies*OR*  you have something that
> > uses the distribution's standard format for handling dependencies etc.
>
> Flatpak uses flatpak portals to hook into your system.

Well that sounds uncomfortable for a start. :-)

>                                                  If your distro
> provides the flatpak package, then you have the necessary means to begin
> using flatpak. Flatpak is repo based, like a traditional distro package
> manager, and you can also download one-off builds, similar to how you can
> download a single deb/rpm to your system and install it. flatpak has its own
> dependency tree/dependency management. At its heart, flatpak is a layering
> system: there is the base freedesktop package, then a kde/gnome layer on top
> of that, then the app layer on top of that.
>
> > It sounds like a FlatPak is some sort of horrible halfway house.
>
> Perhaps you should come to a full understand of the technology before
> throwing your opinion into the mix.

Why?  I doubt if anyone here fully understands rpm, deb or whatever.
I'm just trying to get my mind round what flatpack might mean in terms
of keeping my installation safe and easily maintained.

It may very well be a good alternative/improvement over appimage, I'm
just trying to ensure that we're not losing the huge benefits that
well maintained repositories provide.

I already stopped using snap.  Appimage is Ok'ish and if flatpack is
as good then I'm happy, I'm just trying to convince myself that
flatpack *is* as good/safe as appimage.

--
Chris Green