[digiKam-users] Further question about saving metadata

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu May 14 09:32:51 BST 2020

I've started a new thread to make things (a bit) clearer.

I've been thinking about all this and it raises another quite serious
question unless I'm completely misunderstanding things.

I'm told that if I tick all the boxes under "Write This Information to
the Metadata" section of Dokuwiki's configuration settings then my
metadata will be written to the (image) files.

In that case what does the option "Write Metadata to Files" in the
Album menu do?

If ticking the boxes in the Metadata configuration means that the data
is always written to the files then what does the menu option do? Does
it just repeat the writing of the data?  Or does the data *only* get
written when you click the menu option with the Metadata configuration
settings just saying *which* metadata gets written when you click on
the Menu option?

Alternatively does clicking the Menu "Write Metadata to Files" option
write all (or some, if so which?) metadata to file regardless of the
Metadata configuration settings?

If you think carefully about this I think you will see where the
confusion is that has troubled me for so long.

--
Chris Green