[digiKam-users] Moving photos and database files

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed May 13 18:04:34 BST 2020

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 05:34:34PM +0200, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Le 13/05/2020 à 17:22, Chris Green a écrit :
> > On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 04:10:36PM +0200, jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> > >
> > > anyway if you copy the metadata to images, no loss risk
> > >
> > How can one guarantee that happens all the time?  It's *far* from
> > obvious how to configure Digikam to do it.
> >
> ?
>
> only an option to tick, always done for me

Which option?

In the Metadata section of Settings there's:-
   Use Lazy Synchronization
   If possible write metadata to RAW files
   Update file modification timestamp when files are modified
   Rescan when files are modified
   Clean up the Metadata from database when rescan files

...and then in the Album menu we have:-
    Write metadata to files
    Reread metadata from files

...and in the Item menu:-
    Write metadata to files
    Reread metadata from files

So which option do I tick to ensure that metadata is *always* written
to the image files?  I don't want to have to remember to click the
"Write metadata to files" menu option every time I change something
(or at least every time I exit Digikam), I just want it to happen all
the time, *every* time I change something.

It's also not clear what is meant by 'files' in the above options and
settings, are they image files, sidecar files, or both, or what?

--
Chris Green