[digiKam-users] Face Detection/Tagging thoughts

Rob Dueckman duke at dukey.org
Sun May 10 17:44:11 BST 2020

I see that some new work flow is in the works for the faces work flow
(GSoC 2020) .  I have a few thoughts on what I would like to see.

My comments are based on how I understand things to work, so I could be
off base.

1)  Currently, if a face is detected, I have the option of tagging the
face as "not a face", giving it a name, or just leaving it as it
currently is.  I would like to see an option that leaves the face, but
ignores it as it is someone I really don't care about at this time (if
ever)  If faces tagged as not a face are used to re-train face
detection, that is probably not a good thing.

2) If a face is recognised, but incorrect, I'd like to say the person
is incorrect and feed that back into the training data.

3) If I manually add a face, it means that face detection didn't detect
the face.  It should be remembered that it was added manually and not
be used to train.  Sometimes I like to add "faces" into my photos that
would make really poor data to train on (obscured faces, mostly turned
away, etc)

4) Re-training the recognition database should also ignore previously
manually added faces.  I'd also like to see an option to re-train with
just the initial database in case the currently detected faces
represent as a whole poor candidates.  I've been using Digikam for many
years and I'll be honest, there is a lot of crap in my faces database.
The ability to start re-training from scratch without throwing out my
current faces seems like it would be a big help for future recognition
attempts.

Rob