[digiKam-users] How to interpret DigiKam error message when connecting to camera

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Sun Jun 28 15:34:13 BST 2020

I do not want to enter into the discussion here about the rights and
wrongs of the thread.

I just wanted to say that as a test I decided to download my latest
photos from my camera using a USB cable to see what happened as I
normally use a card reader. I am using openSUSE Tumbelweed and Digikam
6.4 and my Pentax K-70 camera on a USB 2 connection using a standard USB
cable.

So here is what I did

1. plug in USB cable into camera
2. plug USB cable into computer
3. turn on camera
4. PC pops up the notification about the camera being connected with the
usual options about viewing or downloading photos with a file manager,
Gwenview or Digikam, all of which I ignored.
5. started Digikam and when up selected target album to import into.
6. selected Import/Cameras and then my camera which was marked as
auto-detected.
7. Digikam opened the window and loaded a preview of all the images on
the camera.
8. selected the newest images and then Download Selected and images
appeared in the album just fine.

So I can say without doubt that Digikam does indeed support import from
a camera.

So if it does not work on your setup all I can say is that it needs more
information, you need to explain exactly what of the above process fails
and whether or not there are any error messages from digikam and your
system log which might indicate where an error might exist, knowing what
the exact model of camera, type of USB connection (USB 1 2 or 3), what
type of cable and which version of Digikam might help to resolve you issue.

Stuart

--
Website: https://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      https//www.broadstairs.org