[digiKam-users] Future of digiKam bundles...

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Mon Jun 1 09:22:01 BST 2020

I'm sorry but I do feel that flatpak is a complete waste of time, there
are so many hoops to jump through to get digikam working as most users
want and need that it is a wasted effort. Also probably most users would
enable access to everything in order to be able to use apps they already
have installed, thus completely negating the whole point of a sandbox!

I very much doubt that anyone anywhere in the world has had a security
issue directly caused by digikam so to have to run it sandboxed like
this is a completely pointless. I have not had any problems with
appimage to test beta versions and my distros RPM works perfectly with
immediate access to everything I need accessible. Also being a rolling
release I get the latest stable releases very quickly.

Yes there probably are apps I would want to run sandboxed, if I needed
them, but they are very few and far between and frankly none that I have
seen so far available in flatpak.

Yes you need to use Discover in openSUSE to do the installs etc and so
far there is no access from YAST. Discover can be used to install normal
openSUSE programs as well so it may become the norm in future, although
personally I prefer YAST or commandline.

Stuart

--
Website: https://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      https//www.broadstairs.org