[digiKam-users] Windows or Linux?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 10:13:46 BST 2020

Hi,

The native development platform is Linux, of course. This one is so
far better to code and hack, and it's free, not limited, and finally
very powerful.

The Windows port is a natural one, as we use Qt framework in the
background which is designed to be portable everywhere (aka MacOS).

The Windows as some limitations that Linux do not have, but step by
step, version by version, Windows version becomes more stable and
suitable as the Linux one.

In all cases, depending of your choice, I highly recommend using the
latest 7.0.0 which will be available officially this weekend on
digiKam.org web site. You can use the weekly build here which are
mostly the same as the future official bundle.

https://files.kde.org/digikam/

To be a little bit more precise, 7.0.0 comes with more than 750 bugs
closed since the last 6.4.0 stable release, with more than one year of
development.

https://invent.kde.org/graphics/digikam/-/blob/master/project/NEWS.7.0.0

Voilà. I'm preparing the 7.0.0 release announcement, which takes a lot
of time to write. So be patient...

Best

Gilles Caulier