[digiKam-users] Compose key not working in digikam when running as an appimage

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 22:57:22 GMT 2020

Hi,

My Compose key (set to the Menu key) is not working in digikam,
whether started from Kubuntu (Plasma) or from Xubuntu (XFCE desktop).
I am running digikam by directly executing the
digikam-6.4.0-x86-64.appimage file. It is working in all other
applications that I have tested. By not working, I mean that the key
has no effect: typing Compose o a results in oa instead of å.

The only thing I can think off setting digikam apart from other
programs is that I'm starting digikam as an appimage file. Could this
cause the Compose key to be not working?  Perhaps because it's not
properly "integrated" in the desktop environment?  What can I do to
debug and/or fix it and get the Compose key to work?

>From export | grep IM:

declare -x GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"
declare -x QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
declare -x XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/user/1000"

I have considered to try to install digikam from source to see if it
works then, but this is a bit more complicated than I thought so I
have paused this for now, and I don't know if it would solve the
problem.

(also asked at https://askubuntu.com/q/1206957/36831)

Gerrit.