[digiKam-users] Move database but not pictures - how?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Jan 13 12:45:14 GMT 2020

For historical reasons my digikam database is in a dedicated directory:-

    chris at esprimo$ ls /chris/digikam
    digikam4.db  recognition.db  similarity.db  thumbnails-digikam.db
    chris at esprimo$

I put it there quite a long time ago so that it was on a different
disk drive (as in separate physical disk) from /home/chris/pictures
where my images are stored.

I have since updated the system quite considerably so that /home is
now on a (much faster) PciExpress SSD, thus the separation of the
Digikam database from my home directory is no longer necessary.

What's the minimum I must do to move the database?  Can I just copy it
to its new location and change the Digikam configuration to match or
does it need a DiskID change as well? (I have to say I never really
understood why Digikam insists on the right DiskID)

While I'm about it, what's the default location for a Digikam database?

--
Chris Green
ยท