[digiKam-users] Benefits or drawbacks from JPG to HEIF conversion

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 15:14:37 GMT 2020

I am not very educated on that subject but I have heard HEIF is smaller file size and is capable of having embedded animation, etc.There are few good examples posted here:https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/Having said that, I am not considering converting any existing JPGs to HEIF. I am just not a big fan of converting.I will however use HEIF if the device can produce it natively. I will probably be exporting to HEIF from darktable, GIMP, etc. once they support the format.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Erick Moreno <erickmoreno at gmail.com> Date: 2020-01-09  8:07 a.m.  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: [digiKam-users] Benefits or drawbacks from JPG to HEIF conversion Hi guys,I'm not generating HEIF files natively with my devices, but, since Digikam can handle them pretty well, as Google Photos and my cellphones does, I see that my main workflow is ready for a possible migration to heif.Considering that, there is any benefit converting my already compressed .jpg files to .heif files?What the benefits or drawbacks from this type of conversion?Thank you-- Erick MorenoScience is like magic, but real