[digiKam-users] Looking for a Lightweight Browser, Cropper and Rating tagger for first pass

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 18:15:41 GMT 2020

Please take a look at Geeqie. It is light, very customizable and I am pretty sure it can write metadata into JPGs.You should be able to re-assign shortcuts for star ratings. I use 1,2,3,4,5 (without Ctrl) myself.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Dougie Nisbet <dougie at katsura.uk> Date: 2020-02-11  7:32 a.m.  (GMT-07:00) To: digikam-users at kde.org Subject: [digiKam-users] Looking for a Lightweight Browser, Cropper and Rating tagger for first pass
    I've tried doing everything within digikam, or initially
      showfoto, but I find that as a first pass I prefer a quick and
      lightweight pre-processing session. I like being able to keep an
      eye on the thumbnails, to easily delete and crop, and then copy
      into my digikam workspace.

    I've tried many image browsers and at the moment I'm usually
      using gthumb. I like its speed and simplicity and easy intuitive
      crop options. I've tried it in digikam but it doesn't really work
      for me for some reason. The big value of digikam for me at the
      moment is its tagging, commenting and geotagging, which I take
      more time over.
    My question is two-fold;
    1. Is there a lightweight image browser that writes rating tags
      to the image that digikam would recognise? I thought gwenview was
      a perfect fit but I've discovered it doesn't write the rating tag
      to the file's exif data, or at least, not in a way I or digikam
      recognise. You need to use the attr command - not something I'm
      familiar with:

      dougie at office:/store/media/images/2020/02/10$ attr -l
        2020-02-10\ 10.56.08.jpg
        Attribute "baloo.rating" has a 1 byte value for 2020-02-10
        10.56.08.jpg
        dougie at office:/store/media/images/2020/02/10$ exiftool * | grep
        -i rating
        dougie at office:/store/media/images/2020/02/10$

    2. Is there a way I can assign the rating shortcut in digikam to
      be a single keypress? Currently I have it set as
      Ctrl-<rating> which is ok, but I find it surprisingly fiddly
      when I'm browsing a large number of new images and wish to quickly
      assign ratings to them as they go. Ideally, something like
      Numeric-<keynum> would be great but I can't get that to
      work.
     Thanks
    Dougie