[digiKam-users] 7.0.0 beta2 faces with wrong orientation in raw image thumbnails

Sean Millichamp sean at bruenor.org
Sun Feb 2 17:32:44 GMT 2020

Hello,

I had face scanned and tagged a number of photos with 7.0.0 beta 1 and
now just updated to v7.0.0-beta2-126-g3cca950d2e (I couldn't get the
appimage build I was using previously with beta1 to work due to a
"Could not initialize GLX" error so I built from source).

I have noticed that the JPEG photos which I had face tagged seem to
show the face thumbnail correctly, but any of the raw (Canon CR2)
images which have a non-standard orientation (e.g. rotated 90 degrees)
with tagged faces in are showing the face thumbnail in the wrong
orientation. As in, the thumbnail shows a different section of the
photo than the face is actually tagged in. If I open the "Preview" view
of the photo the face region shows correctly marked.

I have tried deleting the face tag and re-tagging and the thumbnail
still displays the wrong orientation.

In case it matters, I have Digikam set to write updated metadata to
files, and to create XMP sidecar files if it can't update the metadata.
All tagging has been done exclusively with Digikam (starting with 7.0.0
beta 1), I've never organized this set of photos before.

I looked through the bug tracker and found some bug issues about
incorrect face rectangles on rotated pictures, but it seemed like they
were all marked as resolved so I do not know if this might be related
or not.

Any suggestions? I know that I'm using a beta/unreleased version, but
given that I'm just starting to organize this photo collection I
figured I would give it a try and help test it.

Thanks!

Sean