[digiKam-users] beta 7.2.0 similarity search

Mark Mara mam1 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 25 20:58:04 GMT 2020

I am currently using digikam 7.1.0, (default database(s). It meets or
exceeds my needs in all areas except performance. I decided to try a test
installation of the 7.2.0 beta using an external database running on a fast
SSD.

For a test system, I set up a VM running
digikam-7.2.0-beta1-x86-64.appimage on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Linux
5.4.0-58-generic.  I configured digikam to use an external *MariaDB* Server
10.3.25.  The system, databases, and image lib are on an M.2 connected,
SSD.  This is a clean installation, everything is up to date, with no OS
additions other than to install *MariaDB* Server. I copied  ~24, 000 images
from my image library to a new directory on the test system.

I am *really* impressed with the performance improvement.  All functions
run dramatically faster.  The only thing that is not working as expected is
the similarity search.

I use the similarity search a lot on my production installation so I am
familiar with how to use it.  On the test system, I duplicated a couple of
images,  "Find duplicates" does not find them.  It doesn't matter if the
duplicates are in the same directory or separate directories, similarity
returns no hits, however,  I can see activity on the similarity database
when the find duplicates process is active.

I have tried:

   - updating the fingerprints
   - increasing the similarity range
   - running Tools->Maintenance (all options selected)
   - checking the permissions of the digikam user on all databases

I watched the databases during the maintenance and they all seem to be
experiencing activity.  Any advice on where to look next would be greatly
appreciated.
-markM