[digiKam-users] Keyword (metadata) consistency between programs

Alan H webaccounts at live.com
Wed Apr 29 20:20:33 BST 2020

Remco, and other viewers, apologies for not including the link to the files. Nothing that cannot be shared. Don’t know what I was thinking sending it just to Woenx. The more that can think about this the better. Here’s the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9x7heiuo6h492xb/AAB8tvDi6Or0_XLqcIK-ggCpa?dl=0

Thanks for the explanation. I can probably come up with some sort of kludgy solution to work around this since I really want to use digiKam as my DAM. There are times though that the processing tools of other apps suit my needs and familiarity better, such as the brush and masking tools in ON1. I’m about to go ahead with curating 30,000+ digitized slides and it would be very helpful to be able to search on ratings, color codes, keywords and other metadata added or changed (eg date taken) in digiKam reliably when in other apps and I want to find and process a particular photo.

As a curiosity, though, would it be a complex and/or a lengthy task for digiKam to create sidecars completely compatible with sidecars used by other apps? (possibly an industry first, aside from the snakepit of which apps to choose). I only ask because to my untrained eye the ON1 sidecar (“filename.on1”) created by digiKam appears to be very similar in format to the sidecar that ON1 creates, when “Use a compatible file name…” is checked. It is quite distinct from the (normal looking?) .xmp sidecar that digiKam (and most other apps) creates when that option is unchecked. From my view of the sidecars, the problem appears to be an inconsistency/confusion in whether the metadata tag belongs to a jpg or raw file and then writing it into the correct block. The blocks seem to be there, just not properly interpreted and applied. Could digiKam be programmed (and with what effort) to realize that the blocks legitimately hold different info?

Alan