[digiKam-users] Network Library too slow and not reconnect

Martin Althoff martin.althoff at mail.de
Thu Apr 23 08:37:10 BST 2020

Let me chip in my two cents worth as a long term MacBookPro owner (current one 5 years
old, running 10.14.6), though I have no solution to offer.

For a long time (couple of years, various versions of OSX/MacOS) I was permanently
struggling with poor network performance. Wifi was worse then cable based. Ping values
were fine. I was only looking within my GB home network. Occasionally by factor 2 or 3
below Windows/Linux. Searching around I saw others have the same problem, followed tips
(disable anything on the Mac that's in the network path: firewalls etc), without much
achieved. Best answer I found: OSX/MacOS has a problematic network handling. Just as NFS
is poor. All not a focus of Apple. This is why I guess you are looking at more of an Apple
then DK problem.

With Mojave (10.14) things subjectively got a bit better, though I have kind of given up
on it. Copying a 5GB file to an NFS connected share through WiFi now actually works,
before (from when I don't know) it usually didn't (speed and disconnects).  Most of my
work takes place on Linux by now. New hassles, but others are gone.

Just a thought: How about keeping two synchronized copies of your images? 300G is not so
much. Digikam works on a local copy. Obviously the remote copy has to be the absolute
master copy if that is needed.

Martin