[digiKam-users] Network Library too slow and not reconnect

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:25:46 BST 2020

Alex, what is the typical network latency (the milliseconds on each ping) to
the server where the photos are stored?

I spend some time abroad last year and the latency was quite high (~125ms)
despite having a decent network speed (realistically, ~40Mbps). My library
(around 100000 pictures, around 300GB), and digikam took around 9 minutes
just to show the main interface (and many many more to complete the initial
scan). However, the same library, from home (40ms to the server where they
are stored), starts almost immediately and completes the initial scan within
7 minutes, considering there are not new pictures to be found. So,
apparently, network latency matters even more than network speed. I also use
a newer version, so it might have been caused by some bug that is fixed now.

In the case there are new pictures to be found, digikam tried to transfer
them in order to look at the metadata, so the process is slower, but that is
a background process and you can use the program normally meanwhile.