[digiKam-users] Writing metadata to dng files

Milind Joshi mmjoshi at iitbombay.org
Thu Apr 2 03:35:52 BST 2020

I am a new user of digiKam and currently using the 7.0.0 beta1 version.
I have digiKam settings I have the following settings

for Behavior:

Write This information to the Metadata

01. All items checked

Reading and Writing Metadata

Only Update file modification timestamp when files are modified checked

for Sidecars:

01. Read from sidecar files - checked

02. Write to sidecar files - checked with "write to XMP sidecar for
read-only item only"

03. Sidecar file names are compatible with commercial programs - checked

for Advanced

All items checked.

With this configuration I expected digiKam to write all the metadata to
the DNG files as these files can hold metadata. Surprisingly, digiKam
always creates a sidecar XMP file. My files are having the the
read/write permission. I checked with ExifTool that the metadata
information is not written to the DNG files and also there time stamp
does not change. Am I doing something wrong?

mj