[digiKam-users] How to disable/replace default video player on Windows

Boz Avram theodormcl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:52:31 BST 2019

Hello,
The brilliant functionality of digiKam is ruined by the stuttering performance of the built in video player that gets invoked via “Show Fullscreen” (by pressing the black sideways triangle in Thumbnails, or by activating Preview) when playing .mov files shot by an iPhone. Is there a way to replace this internal player by any of the Windows’ native players? Please note:
1) “Open With”, where I specify MS native video players for .mov files produces smooth plays, but at the end of the play of a selected file it does not advance to the next photo (if a photo is next in sequence) as the internal player does (which to me is necessary)
2) .mts files play nicely with the internal player. I understand that .mts use h264, while .mov use h265. However, after many attempts to transcode .mov to any flavor of h264 using Handbreak, I have not found a combination that produces a file that the digiKam internal player plays smoothly
3) Changing Windows file associations, where .mov is associated with, e.g. “Movies &TV”, or “Photos”, does not prevent digiKam internal video player from being invoked upon the “Show Fullscreen” command
4) I am using digiKam 6.3 (the 6.2 had the same behavior).

I hope this player issue can be resolved by configuration changes (or such a capability is in the next release), as with the player working, this would be about a perfect package for me (well deserving of a nice contribution). Sadly, if the stuttering is unavoidable, it would be a deal breaker for me (because my after-trip collections consist of a mix of iPhone movie clips and photos from various sources).

Thanks in advance, Boz

Sent from my iPad