[digiKam-users] Sharing Database/Collections

BensonBear benson.bear at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 06:34:42 BST 2019

woenx wrote
> Yep, I'm with you in that one. The change should be transparent, without
> the
> need to re-scan the whole library. I don't know what that happens. Maybe a
> developer can chime in?

I believe I found the problem (at least, it is *a* problem that
contributes):

Because of the way I was moving the image files from the original windows
machine to a linux machine (windows built in ftp, plus wget), the times on
the files were wrong.  The seconds field had been zeroed out.   If the times
are restored to their exact values, the method seems to work with no
problem.

Now for future actual use, I am not sure what is best.  Probably to find
some rsync server for windows, or perhaps unison.   For now, I just reset
the filetimes when they are first copied via wget using the times in the
digikam database.  That's fast.

> But in your case, the changes are only applied to the database, since the
> metadata is not updated either in the pictures themselves or digikam
> files.
> What if someday you decide to use another picture manager? All these
> changes
> would be lost. Well, you could always write that metadata to the images or
> sidecars at some point in that case, but still.

Exactly, so this is no problem at all.

> In my case, parts of my
> collection is shared among relatives, and they would be able to manage
> their
> collection using whatever software they like.

In this case, indeed, it would be a problem.

> Although I agree with you that ideally pictures shouldn't be constantly
> written with new metadata, as there's always the risk of corrupting an
> image
> (and it's slower if you do it over a network)

I find it slow regardless, if one is tagging large numbers of files.  I kind
of object to it in principle.  I kind of think the origin of the data should
never be destroyed or altered; they could go on read only media.   Most of
the cameras we use do not shoot raw, so that "origin" is jpegs or something
like that.