[digiKam-users] Sharing Database/Collections

BensonBear benson.bear at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 22:10:42 BST 2019

woenx wrote
> Wouldn't just writing changes to sidecar files instead of the pictures
> (thus, leaving pictures intact) achieve what you just want?

I don't know, I have never used sidecars, and I guess I could try.  However,
at the outset I am skeptical, since this involves a huge number of extra
files, and they are not all small necessarily since many files have a lot of
metadata (perhaps they can be limited to the metadata generated through user
actions of tagging).

It seems much simpler to have to move only one file and alter it to point to
a new location.   I will look into using sidecars, but at this point I would
just like to know, why cannot I just alter the AlbumRoot and then use the
database from the other machine.  (Note: this would be the same question on
one machine, if I wanted to move the the location of the (sole) collection I
have, even just "mv" it by changing its name.  If only the name of the sole
collection changes, why should I not be able to simply alter the database by
changing the location of this collection?  It seems like this change should
be totally transparent.

If one is just tagging, labelling, etc, a large collection, on two machines
at different times, it seems generally simply and faster to copy one large
file than a large number of small files, which then require a rebuilding of
the database.  Let's say people find this a bad idea; I will still like to
know why it seems to not be possible without rebuilding the database once it
is set to point to a different AlbumRoot.