[digiKam-users] Sharing Database/Collections

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 10:57:46 BST 2019

Le jeu. 19 sept. 2019 à 11:33, Sveinn í Felli <sv1 at fellsnet.is> a écrit :

> Þann 19.9.2019 08:49, skrifaði Martin Burnicki:
> > Andrey Goreev wrote:
> >> I do not think digiKam can do that...
> >
> > Shouldn't this work if the collection is in a cloud folder like
> > Nextcloud (or Dropbox, FWIW)?
> >
> > If you make changes to photo or an album (i.e. just the file or photo)
> > on one machine then the changes are synchronized to all machines that
> > share these folders, and if you start DK next time it will detect the
> > changes and update the local database accordingly.
> >
> > But of course this is only going to work if you write tags and other
> > metadata to the image file or a sidecar file.
> >
> > If you have configured DK to *not* write metadata (tags etc.) to the
> > files but keep them only in the DB you'd have to synchronize the
> > database in a consistent way, which can be much harder.
> >

> IMHO it could be instructive to set up Nextcloud on a NAS over a LAN,
> and try out how Digikam reacts to such synchronization - both databases
> and image files. Probably I will test this kind of a setup, but not
> until late October when time permits.
>
> Nextcloud/OwnCloud has fine-grained access-controls for users/groups and
> sharing, and has pretty advanced mechanisms for resolving conflicts in
> case of simultaneous edits.
>
> I presume that if using a synchronized database one would have to share
> _all_ the files in each local collection _and_ the paths would have to
> be the same on all devices, right?

yes, it's the best configuration but not the best design to work on
multiple computer with a common database.

Also remember that no lock mechanism exists yet in DK database interface.
So concurrent DB acess at the same time can corrupt data.

We have plenty of report/whish in bugzilla about this topic. We need to
found a good student to work on this project. DB is an important part of DK.

Best

Gilles Caulier