[digiKam-users] --> Migrating from Photos to digiKam

Alex Antão alex at familiaturista.com.br
Wed Sep 4 15:13:19 BST 2019

Thanks, but it does not work.

I tried to import just one directory from my Library, and it jus copied all structure just as it was.

I'd like to import all metadata, including Events (I have a lot of then), tags, etc...

I really like Photos, but the way it is today, I can't continue to use it, it is very, very slow on my old Macbook, very buggy, does not often update, loose some photos and I don't know that (just when I need them) and it is not multi plataform. If I change to another SO, I'll loose anyway. But I don't want to loose all information I have today, it would take yaers to catalog all photos again.

I like the way it abstracts everything, but it tends to hide some problems. I like control.

Thanks.

---- Ativado Qua, 04 set 2019 10:54:41 -0300 woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> escreveu ----

In theory, you don't have to do anything special.

I have never worked with Photos before, but if all the metadata is already
written in the pictures or in sidecar files, you just install digikam, tell
him in which folder you store your pictures, and wait until it scans your
library. All the information (Tags, People, etc.) will be populated
automatically.

If Photos didn't save that information to the picture (or xmp sidecar files)
then you would need to export it somehow.

But in any case, just try to import your picture library into digikam, and
if you see some information missing, then try to figure out how to export
that info from your previous picture management software.