[digiKam-users] Scan for new items without removing deleted albums

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 19 12:18:44 BST 2019

On vendredi 18 octobre 2019 16:02:03 CEST photo at whil.eu wrote:
> Thanks, unfortunately refresh of the album also removes photos of that
> album.
>
> I would also need a way to discover new albums in a collection without
> removing previously existing albums
> October 18, 2019 3:33 PM, "woenx" <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Mmm, have you tried right-clicking on one album and selecting refresh? New
> > pictures in that album will be imported, I think. Otherwise it just syncs
> > digikam with the directory structure and file contents.

Digikam tries very hard to keep its database in sync with the underlying
filesystem, so it's not too much disturbed by changes to the albums from
outside Digikam. That means: adding new images to the database, but also
removing from the database pictures that are removed from the underlying
directories.

What you want seems to go against that principle...

What might work is declaring the cloud collection as a removable collection.
Afaik that allows you to use the database to search that collection even when
it's not available, as database and thumbnails are stored on your local
machine.

You then copy images you need to work on to a local non-removable collection.
Copy to avoid removing them from the database for the removable collection.

This will only work if you are the only user that can modify the image
collection on the cloud, and you manage all the copying through Digikam: in
that case, you can disable the "check for new images on startup", avoiding a
full scan of the cloud collection. If images can be added from outside
Digikam, you may have problems, though... (new images not showing up).

If you indeed need to know which images have been passed through your local
machine, you could use a tag or colour label.

Note that *creating* the database for the cloud collection can take a very
long time. As long as you manage to do all the copying between cloud and local
storage through digikam, subsequent operations should be much faster (but
inherently slow, as there's network transport involved).