[digiKam-users] --> History of a Migration from Mac Photos to Digikam

jdd at dodin.org jdd at dodin.org
Fri Oct 11 16:46:38 BST 2019

Le 11/10/2019 à 17:25, Alex Antão a écrit :

> Thank you for you attention

lot of works!!

for me I do so:

* always copy with the OS my photos to a date tree, usually on a day
basis, I call this "originals". I try never to edit anything there. I
keep these folders for around 2-3 years or as long as I have room on my
disks

* copy all this to a "edited" folder where digikam have access. There I
remove bad images, edit the images... then these photos a copied to my
online gallery

* usually do this on my internal ssd then move it to my "archives"
disks. I have 3 of them. One is nearly always near my computer, often
switched off. The second one is also near, but only switched on when
necessary. This last one is exchanged randomly for a third one usually
located in an anti fire box located at the other corner of the house (as
far as I can, when I was working it was at work). These archive disks
are 4 or 5 Tb

Like this I'm almost prepared to the disaster :-)

* I try not to remove photos from sd cards - they are so cheap nowaday I
keep them several years before reusing them.

I really like the fact than digikam uses the very same structure as the
OS, lot of work on the image is done at os level

jdd

--
http://dodin.org