[digiKam-users] How to start a completely new and separate digikam from appimage?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 26 00:00:27 GMT 2019

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 05:39:14PM -0600, woenx wrote:
> Alternatively, you can launch digikam from a command line with the
> --database-directory <dir> parameter, so it uses a clean database in another
> directory.

Surely a clean configuration file is a good idea as well.

It would be good to have this clearly outlined somewhere as it can be
quite confusing and difficult.  I.e. where are the following
confuguration items stored:-

    Database name - is this saved anywhere?  If it isn't saved
    anywhere is there a default name and location.  I know it can be
    changed by a command line parameter.

    Configuration file name and location - I know this defaults to
    ~/.config/digikamrc which is fairly standard (though it would
    really be more 'standard' to be ~/.config/digikam/digikamrc).
    What is stored in the configuration file, it doesn't seem to have
    anything about the database or album locations.

    Album directories - I've looked and seen that these are stored in
    the database but it would be helpful is this was explained
    somewhere (maybe it is but it should be really 'up front' for me).

What determines whether configuration information is stored in the
configuration file or in the database, is there any rationale for
where things are stored?

--
Chris Green