[digiKam-users] Hide empty folders in collections

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 18 15:44:48 GMT 2019

On lundi 18 novembre 2019 11:35:20 CET Dumelle, Timo (E+K) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since you managed to get digikam start in about 1 - 2 minutes instead of 3
> minutes with a 350000 pics mysql database, I gave it another try!
>
> I added a collection which basically is a folder on a share where word,
> excel, pdf, pictures and movies are dumped into project related subfolders
> In this collection there are many folders that don't contain digikam
> related stuff, so the folders are "empty" for digikam
>
> Is there an option to hide / ignore empty folders?
> I think that would add an extra on performance and would help to reduce
> confusion on my users

The only way I see for Digikam to decide a folder is "empty", is to check the
folder contents, i.e. iterate over the files in the folder. That's what's
happening now as well to check for new files. So a "hide empties" option will
at best not add extra processing, and thus not help in start-up time.

It might still be worthwhile, in order to simplify the interface. Then again,
*not* seeing folders you know are there can also be confusing, it all depends
on the users. E.g. I know that the albums in Digikam represent directories on
the disk, so not seeing some only because there are no images would be more
confusing for me.