[digiKam-users] Migration of DigiKam to new PC

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 20:48:30 GMT 2019

Hi,

If I were you, considering you have those photos stored locally, I'd save
all metadata to the files (or to xmp sidecars) and let digikam rebuild the
database on the new installation.

If I understand correctly, until now you used the Organizer in Photoshop
Elements. Is there a way to force that software to write all metadata to
files? I have not personally used that organizer, but a tag hierarchy I made
in Adobe Lighroom was preserved in Digikam (and viceversa). If the metadata
includes the hierarchy, digikam should recognize it and recreate it, just
like you had it before.

It shouldn't more complicated than that.

About the categories... the first principle of a category system is that
they have to exhaustive and mutually exclusive. At the end of the day, the
best way of categorizing things is the one that works for you. Personally, I
have a structure tree for places
(Places/Country/Province/Municipality/Village) and another one for People
(mostly flat, except for a few groups of people, like coworkers, people from
the university, etc. and some day I'll try to hierarchize relatives). Your
categories for nature seem fine. I guess the more elements you have, the
more specific the categories would become (e.g. Lepidoptera instead of
Butterflies), but as I said, do what better suits your needs. Just bear in
mind that modifying something near the root of the category tree will imply
changing metadata for all elements of that tree.

Tell us how it went :)