[digiKam-users] Hierarchical tags, how are they stored?

Noeck noeck.marburg at gmx.de
Tue Nov 5 20:59:22 GMT 2019

> For instance, Let's say I have a set of pictures like this:
>
> [ ] Kanada
>     [ ] Ontario
>         [x] Toronto
>
> But I realize my mistake

Which is not a mistake in German, btw. ☺

> So apparently metadata is not written to files if the immediate parent tag
> in the hierarchy has not been updated for any specific file?

That's probably what I encountered and mentioned in a previous mail.

If that is really the problem, it should be possible to solve it and
trigger a metadata sync. But I see one reason not to do it: if many
images were tagged with the old tag, all of them need to be written on
disk again. With potentially 100k or millions of images, this could be a
very time consuming operation triggered by a seemingly simple drag-and-drop.

Best,
Joram