[digiKam-users] Importing from a local folder

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Wed May 29 10:29:04 BST 2019

I'm retrying digikam after years of using shotwell (and previously
f-spot). After initially importing my original images in their original
location (~100,000) I'm now trying to import and copy from a local folder.

My workflow with shotwell is something like:

Images in /store1/images/YEAR/MONTH/DAY

New images somewhere local, e.g. /home/dougie/in

I rarely, if ever, import directly from a camera or memory card. I
prefer to do anĀ  initial pass, using something like geeqie, on my
incoming photos to weed out unwanted images. I may also add some
geolocation information.

In shotwell, the import process would copy and relocate according to
photo date into /store1/images/YEAR/MONTH/DAY. I can't see how to do
this in digikam.

I've found:

1. If I click on the Import option on the menu bar, digikam attempts to
look at my (unmounted) external USB drive where I store backup images.
It freezes the import window during this. However, during this time I
can see some rename options on the Import window, I just can't do
anything with it.

2. If I disconnect my USB drive (the only way I could figure out how to
stop digikam looking at it), the Import option on the menu bar is
unavailable. The options on the Import drop-down menu are of little use.

 From the searching I've done, I've seen various suggestions, including
Ctrl-I (no effect). The 'Add Images' and 'Add Folders' options are
greyed out.

I considered adding ~dougie/in as a collection, but I suspect it would
leave the photos in place, whereas I want them imported and renamed and
copied to /store1/images.

Thanks for any help,

Dougie

Running Digikam 6.1.0 on Debian Stable using digikam-6.1.0-x86-64.appimage