[digiKam-users] New to DK - questions.

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Wed Mar 20 09:50:56 GMT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:39 PM Remco Viƫtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> Agreed that getting the multi-system issues sorted properly would be a
> good
> step.
>
> But when you have a remote (networked) collection, there's a very good
> chance
> that it will be accessed from different terminals (and not just through
> different OSes). And *that* means you'll get concurrent access sooner or
> later.
>
> From what I gathered here, concurrent access to the database is *not*
> supported yet. Result: sooner or later you will get database corruption.
> With
> all the headaches that causes.
>
> So, until that kind of issues are dealt with, it might not be the best of
> ideas to make multi-system access too easy (and noting the caveats in the
> configuration dialog isn't enough, in practice).

Couldn't, in a first phase, the first instance of DK that accesses the DB
just lock the DB. Other instances would then emit a message "waiting for
other instances to release the DB" until the first user closes his DK
instance. That would be a quick fix to your issue and at least allow the
same user to access the DB across different OSes.

Phase 2, only set the lock when an actual DB access occurs. Then you're
getting very close to concurrent access without corruption.

Hajo