[digiKam-users] New to DK - questions.

Cleaneasy contact at cleaneasy.com
Wed Mar 20 03:00:06 GMT 2019

Greetings!  I am really looking forward to getting more familiar with
digiKam!

I may have been too enthusiastic starting out. I read the article "Use
digiKam with a NAS and MariaDB" and then installed the windows version and a
linux version, and put a MariaDB on my freenas.  All went well after a short
learning curve.  I do still have a few questions I could not find in past
posts or the FAQ.

Perhaps this is obvious, but where are the images stored?  Does the DB just
store thumbnails, metadata and pointers to images? If so how can I use both
linux and windows since the pointers stored in the DB will be different even
if they point to the NAS which both machine can see, but with a slightly
different paths?

In any case I am sure it will be pretty important to update digiKam on each
platform at the same time. Until I get this figured out I'm only using linux
to add photos.

Thanks!
Kip