[digiKam-users] Compiling digikam and exiv2

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 13:47:59 BST 2019

Hello,

First of all, sorry if that has been answered somewhere else. I read other
threads about compiling digikam in this mailing list, but I couldn't manage
to do it myself.

I am trying to compile digikam from source in an Ubuntu 18.04 installation,
in order to create up to date .deb packages (and also be able to try myself
the changes introduced by the GSoC2019). However, I seem to be experiencing
some problems, especially regarding the exiv2 package.

I start from a fresh ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS amd64 install in a virtual machine.
I try to follow the instructions at https://www.digikam.org/download/git/,
but the problem comes when ./bootstrap.linux can't find the exiv2 package
installed.

In theory, it needs exiv2 0.26 or newer (the lastest version in their
repository seems to be 0.27). I first tried using the already compiled
version of exiv2 and libexiv2-26 for debian (version 0.26-1), but Digikam's
compilation script does not seem to detect them.

Then I tried to do the right thing and compile exiv2 myself. It seems to
compile just right using their instructions
(https://dev.exiv2.org/projects/exiv2/wiki/Building_on_Ubuntu_using_Cmake)
but using their github (https://github.com/Exiv2/exiv2.git) instead of the
svn repository. Same result, when I run ./bootstrap.linux, the script does
not seem to detect exiv2 in the system.

I also read somewhere in this mailing list that a custom CMakeLists.txt file
(https://cgit.kde.org/digikam.git/tree/project/bundles/3rdparty/ext_exiv2/CMakeLists.txt)
should be used to build exiv2, but I don't know how exactly how to use it.

Can someone lend me a hand? Thanks in advance.

PS: I won't mind sharing the whole virtual machine as a pre-configured build
environment for Ubuntu once everything works just fine.