[digiKam-users] digiKam "date"s and times

Jim Todt jtodt at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 10 04:26:49 BST 2019

Hi.  digiKam newbie here.  Please bear with me as this may get a little
long...

I've started testing digiKam (6.1), looked at settings, looked at the
website, docs, Nabble forum, & even tried reading some code.  But I
haven't found the specifics I'm looking for... (Hopefully they're in a
spec document or user document somewhere, and not just in the code...)

digiKam makes reference to "date" often; and in one place in the docs it
talks about "EXIF date" as being the 1st choice.  But even within EXIF
there isn't just 1 "date"...  So what does "date" really mean?  digiKam
seems to use "date" in at least 3 places:

1) Importing.  Which drives Properties & Metadata.  I seem to get these
results:

1a) Properties->Photograph Properties->Created comes from
EXIF-Spec:DateTime.  What ExifTool calls ModifyDate.  The last time the
picture was modified (not created).

1b) Metadata->EXIF->Image Information->Date and Time also comes from
EXIF-Spec:DateTime.

1c) Metadata->EXIF->Photograph Information->Date and Time (Digitized)
comes from EXIF-Spec:DateTimeDigitized.  The time that the image was
first digitized.

1d) Metadata->EXIF->Photograph Information->Date and Time (Original)
comes from EXIF-Spec:DateTimeOriginal.  The "taken" time - when the
camera shutter was actuated.

2) View menu sorting.  This seems to use the filesystem dates.

3) Left side Dates & Timeline.  These seem to use either the Created or
the Date and Time above - in either case ultimately EXIF-Spec:DateTime.

Hopefully someone(s) can help with these questions:

a) Is the above correct as to what dates digiKam is using for what purposes?

b) In a recent forum thread there was talk of a date needing to appear
multiple times before it's used - is this correct?  If so, what is the
reason for this rather than using each date per the spec?

c) Why isn't the Original date used for sorting, selecting, etc.? As the
"taken" date, this would seem to be the most appropriate choice rather
than a date which can be changed later by other software...

d) I think in the same forum thread there was talk of a coming ability
for the user to specify what datetime fields should be selected in what
order to be used for each purpose?  Is that correct?  If so, is there a
timeframe for when this might be implemented?

e) The latest EXIF spec includes Offset fields to (finally) include
Timezone.  However, digiKam only lists 1 of the 3 EXIF Offset fields.
Is this a work in progress?  Will digiKam include the other 2 (when?)
and use these Offset fields to correctly sequence pictures from multiple
Timezones?

f) Is there a Best Practice for when & how to use UTC time in digiKam?

g) Or is there some other Best Practice for how dates and times and the
related fields should be handled in digiKam?

Thanks for your help!