[digiKam-users] How to easily maintain multiple databases on one machine?

sorker at t-online.de sorker at t-online.de
Sun Jun 2 20:08:25 BST 2019

Hey, I'm a graphics designer in the personal and professional field. I am
currently maintaining multiple data sets, image libraries, with dozens if
not hundreds of gigabytes of data. I recently started using digiKam to
maintain one of my texture libraries, and have really grown to like it
thanks to tagging and duplicate filtering. However this is only one set,
which i use for my work, and thus need to keep separate from my personal
libraries. Especially since it employs a different, non compatible, tagging
style.

Now the solution for doing this with digiKam appears to be to create
another database by changing the path in the options. However this is very
inconvenient when needing to rapidly switch between several libraries a
day/hour. It also does not cover the differences in tag configurations that
i need. (Being able to tag via hotkey is great, but not feasible when
switching databases.)

What is the solution for this? My initial thought was to pass a startup
param with the path to an alternative config, which seems to (have been)/
be possible on Linux. But I've found no clear documentation on how to do
it. I've also found no way of doing this on Windows, which is important to
me since my workstation is required to run it.

Any ideas? Did i miss something?