[digiKam-users] Multiple simultaneous keyword entry

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jul 27 16:22:41 BST 2019

On samedi 27 juillet 2019 16:15:28 CEST jdd at dodin.org wrote:
> Le 27/07/2019 à 15:50, Northern Colorado Event Photograph a écrit :
> > I am not talking about existing tags or keywords, so I can't select from
> > an existing list or import from some other application.
>
> ok
>
> > As I examine each image, I decide on keywords for that image and those
> > keywords belong to that image and only that image.
>
> for one image and only one
>
> if you enter them ass tags, the tg database will soon be filled by
> unwanted ones...
>
> so may be it's enough to enter them in description field?
>
> jdd

Indeed, Captions seems more adapted to OP's use case (unless he also needs to
add a title and caption to each image). Searching on terms in these fields
works. And entering the terms can be done from the main view, so a series of
images can be handled with almost only using the keyboard (PgDn to go to next
image, cursor stays in the last field used, the image metadata are updated
automatically when you switch to another image).

But it is an abuse of the captions field, so might not work nicely with
external programs (or agencies using the images).

Keyword use in Digikam seems to be more geared towards the use of restricted
vocabularies, organised in a tree structure. In such systems, the keywords are
re-used rather often, and used to find groups of related images, not one exact
image... In other words, you select appropriate keywords from an existing list
(and only add a keyword when absolutely necessary, if allowed to do so).

Remco