[digiKam-users] Metadata for RAW files

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 22 06:30:39 BST 2019

On lundi 22 juillet 2019 01:29:05 CEST Rafael Linux wrote:
> Well, the bug is worst than I was thinking. For some reason, Digikam do not
> let user to change metadata for RW2 files (Panasonic Lumix RAW files). The
> best way to show what's happening is this video:
> https://fromsmash.com/rw2-digikam
>
> I have all permissions on the folder and the RW2 files. If I do the same on
> a non RW2 file on same folder, I can change metadata.

Not writing to raw files is *not* a bug, it's a design decision (feature, if
you prefer)...

And in my opinion a good one, every now and then there's a bug report about a
program corrupting the raw files sufficiently that they become unreadable for
other programs. "Every now and then" sounds like it's not a problem. But it is
if that makes you lose your images. I treat raw files like the old film
negatives: only (re)touch them when absolutely needed and knowing what you are
doing.

The exact format of most raw files is only known by the camera makers. How to
read the information is more or less deduced by programmers of 3rd party
programs, but that's not always enough to reliable write to raw files.

Remco