[digiKam-users] Export full-sized embedded preview from RAW+JPG

Ian Young ian at iangreenleaf.com
Mon Jan 7 17:53:18 GMT 2019

Hi all! I shoot most of my photos with my Nikon D3300 in RAW+JPG mode. As I understand it, in this mode the camera saves a full-size JPG as an embedded "preview" in the raw NEF file. The camera does a fantastic job of processing, so most of the time when I'm exporting all I want to do is use the camera's JPG directly and not work from the RAW (I shoot RAW+JPG for the rare circumstances where I do want to go back and work from the RAW).

Is there a way to tell Digikam to export the embedded file? It looks like some of the export plugins, like Flickr, use the embedded file. However, most of them just export the NEF file itself. The image editor uses the RAW and I don't see an option to switch it. I would be very happy with a way to simply export the JPGs to disk and I can deal with them manually from there.
I'm using Digikam 5.9.0, by the way.
Thanks!
Ian