[digiKam-users] Newbie digikam user has questions

Jim Kahnweiler jim at jimkphoto.com
Sun Feb 24 16:47:04 GMT 2019

Hi, I just download and installed digikam on my Mac, running Mojave. As a
user using MediaPro for many years I have been forced to search for a
replacement because PhaseOne has abandoned the software. DK is the most
likely replacement. However, my initial experience has been frustrating.

I have several questions for which I can't find answers. Can someone help
me, please or provide a link to a tutorial that will explain how to do what
I want to do.
1) My first album copied the images to the database location. Is there a
way to create an album without moving files?
2) The second album I created opened in a new window and was not saved. No
files were moved. The verticle images were not displayed in a rotated view.
And, I added the MIME preferences to recognize tif, psd and dng format, but
the application did not respond, so thumbnails were not displayed.
3) Screenshots on the DK website show a dark background, but I couldn't
find a way to change from the default white background.
4) When I first launched DK, the icons in the sidebar were solid, now they
appear greyed-out.

I see that v.6 is a .0 version, with new releases scheduled for the near
future. Would I find a more stable release if I downgrade to v.5.8?

I'm sure as I use the program more, I'll have more questions.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

--
Jim

Jim Kahnweiler, Photographer
5 Alewives Road
Norwalk CT 06850 USA

203-979-1507
http://www.jimkphoto.com <http://www.jimkphotographics.com>
jim at jimkphoto.com

It's not the camera; it's the photographer.
--Anonymous

Use the right tool for the job.
--Folk Lore