[digiKam-users] either face recognition screen is buggy or I still don't understand it - at least I can say that more convenient bulk change of face tags (no auto refresh / set faces via context menu) is neccessary #V5.9.0 Windows Feb 27 2018

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 5 19:07:02 GMT 2019

On mardi 5 février 2019 18:32:03 CET J Albrecht wrote:
(...)
> As I had alluded to earlier: “Are you okay with telling your kids that you
> willingly chose to participate in the development of the technology which
> is used to not only oppresses others in the world but possibly oppress them
> in the future as well?”

That cat is well end truly out of the bag now, face recognition is already
used in certain airports to speed up passport controls. So developing it for
Digikam is not going to suddenly provide orders of magnitudes faster or better
face recognition (the more as Digikam devels don't invent the algorithms used,
afaik...)

While the concerns are valid, attacking a project like Digikam as if they are
(out to help) the next batch of totalitarians is a bit over the top.

You might consider that the *users* have  the responsability of learning their
tools and using them correctly, and that they can't hold others responsable
for their unwillingness to learn

Remco.

(P.S. heviiguy is killfiled)