[digiKam-users] Importing to Digicam from Google Photos

Carl McGrath cmcgrath5035 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:30:45 GMT 2019

I think I may be doing something wrong, or perhaps have an incorrect
setting, but not sure where to look.
If it matters, I am running DK 6.0.0 on opensuse linux.

Secnario:
I have a Google photos account and some of the photos are in albums on
Google photos.

Q1: when try Digicam:Import:Import from Google Photos, Digikam connects
OK but only offers to download
from Albums on Google Photos, not from the top level view(all photos in
timeline view).
Is there a way to get everyting from the timeline?

Q2: In my case , all photos on Google photos are jpeg files.
If I navigate to a Google Photos album, select a photo and download via
the browser Web Menu, it ends up in my designated .. /Downloads folder
with name IMG_file.jpg
But if I use DK:Import:Import from Google Photos from that same Album,
the file appears in
the album selected within DK but has name IMG_file without the .jpg.
The file thumbnail does not display when navigating to the selected folder.

Suggestions ?

Thanks, Digikam is an amazing program.