[digiKam-users] Digikam wit NAS (Windows)

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:48:18 BST 2019

I use digikam 6.3.0-git on Windows with NAS.

My NAS is just a Raspberry Pi with an external USB drive formatted EXT4 and
shared with my computers via SAMBA.
So my setup is not fast to begin with.

I have around 50,000 images and 4,000 videos most of which are stored on the
network folder.
The database (digikam *.db files) is stored locally (on my C:\ drive)
though.
The setting "Scan for new items on startup (makes startup slower)" is ON.

Startup usually takes a couple of minutes for I got used to it.
Just keep in mind that network collections are slower.

In your case I would install digiKam 6.3-git, let it run for few hours and
check again.
Per Maik's suggestion, DebugView is always a good tool to have because you
will be able to see what exactly is going on while digikam "hangs".
I bet it just scanning the collection.

Keep in mind that "database" is a set of few *.db files where digikam stores
information about your images. "Collection" is a folder where your images
and videos are being stored.
You can help one database and multiple collections.
If you lose your database all the tags, comments, etc. you added to the
items in your collection will likely be lost. That is why it might be a good
practice to write the information to sidecar files or, for JPGs, to images
itself.

Good luck!