[digiKam-users] Edit geolocation of pictures

Steffen Hack steffen.hack at outlook.com
Sat Aug 24 07:12:02 BST 2019

Hi Remco and all others ;-)

date and time in the gpx file are correct and with another software (Geosetter) I can correlate some pictures. Only with DigiKam I get this error message.
But now I found another big problem:
The source files from Google Timeline (only KML format offered for download of a single day) does NOT contain timestamps for ALL trackpoints.
Only trackpoints that are PLACES contain timestamps. Most trackpoints only shown on google website when option "show raw data" is activated are NOT included at all and the other trackpoints that are not "places" do NOT contain timestamps (on google website they do, they are filtered out by Google when the KML file is created).
The only way to get all trackpoints from google (including raw data) is to download a JSON file at http://takeout.google.com but it's not possible for one single day but only the complete saved data.
So the JSON file is rather large (675 MB), starting in the year 2013 when I first activated position sharing.
I can open the JSON file with notepad or notepad++ (only x64 version because of the size). It's also a kind of XML and I can manually search for timestamps (Unix format in milliseconds) and see the latitude and longitude values.
Unfortunately it's a special google JSON format and NOT standard GeoJSON. So I found NO converter to GPX in internet (no working offline and no working online converter).
The only provider who let me upload a file of 675 MB was: https://mygeodata.cloud/converter/json-to-gpx but the JSON format was not recognized. They told me they are currently working on a converter for Google JSON format...
I found the starting timestamp of the concerning day in notepad++ and created a new smaller JSON file containing only that day. I just had to add the startig tag and the closing brackets at the end.
But I still cannot find any way to convert this file into GPX format.
Any idea?

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Steffen Hack
PFALZ-COMPUTER