[digiKam-users] Dark themes for digikam

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 22 12:23:16 BST 2019

Hey everyone,

inspired by this other post
http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digiKam-users-quot-Legible-themes-quot-td4708788.html,
and not very satisfied with the dark themes currently included in digikam
(they either have some elements that contrast too much, causing eyestrain,
look too cluttered, or have non-neutral grey backgrounds), I decided to
customize a new theme to my taste.

Based on the the Optimal color scheme (https://store.kde.org/p/1001783/),
the highest rated dark theme in the KDE store, I adjusted it so the color of
the frame surrounding each picture blends with the background (I think they
clutter the interface), and I adjusted the font color so it does not
contrast that much.

So, I have created three color schemes with three different levels of
darkness. They work perfectly fine with the Breeze Dark icon theme. Here are
some screenshots:

Optimal-DK-lighter
Optimal-DK_lighter.colors
<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK_lighter.colors>

<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK-lighter.png>

Optimal-DK
Optimal-DK.colors
<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK.colors>

<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK.png>

Optimal-DK-darker
Optimal-DK_darker.colors
<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK_darker.colors>

<http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/file/t376572/Optimal-DK-darker.png>

To use them, just place them in ~/.local/share/digikam/colorschemes/ (in
Linux) or C:\Program Files\digiKam\data\digikam\colorschemes (in Windows)
and restart digikam.

So, what do you think? Any feedback will be welcome.