[digiKam-users] Select pictures from the map

Mick Sulley mick at sulley.info
Mon Aug 19 15:45:45 BST 2019

I had trouble with map view as well.

Alan H kindly replied to my query with the following which solved it for
me, hope it helps you as well -

As a new user of digiKam myself my initial intuition to this feature was
the same, and somewhat frustrating. BUT, I did find the answer in the
user manual. Using digiKam 6.2.0 in Windows 10…

-the left sidebar map has 2 rows of icons/buttons below it (11 & 3 –
make sure pane is sufficiently wide).

-second row of 3 is labelled “Search by area:” – full rectangle; half
rectangle; “X” button

-you must select either the full or half rectangle

-if digiKam opens with the full rectangle selected and you click on a
marker/thumbnail nothing happens

-with the full rectangle selected you must create a frame around the
markers you want – click/release, drag, click.

-creates a blue rectangle around selected markers and displays
thumbnails in center preview pane.

-clicking on half rectangle lets you click on just one marker/thumbnail
to display its contents in the preview pane.

-clicking on “x” deselects selection but not the actual icon/button.

Maybe not intuitively obvious but after getting used to it, it works
well, for me anyway. Hope this helps. Anybody more experienced please
correct if wrong.

Alan