[digiKam-users] how to move to new disk?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Wed Aug 14 09:00:55 BST 2019

Am 12.08.19 um 21:51 schrieb ghe2019:
> The problem of this method is that it is essentially re-creating a new
> collection at the new path.  All album captions in the old collection would
> be lost.
>
> I'm still looking for an easier way to handle this without losing album
> captions.

I just did that and it was easier than thought:

I copied all files (the complete folder/album tree) to the new disk, and
also copied
- digikam4.db and
- thumbnails-digikam.db
to a new location on the new disk

Then opened digikam (the old files were already not accessible anymore)
and entered the path where I saved digikam4.db in settings->database
(only the path, in my case  /home/daniel/digikam/ )

and went to settings->collections (here: "Sammlungen"), and added the
path to the photo files top folder.

... first I thought nothing happens (even wrote a help message to this
list...), but in fact digikam was reading through all the albums
obviously comparing to the database. In my case this took a bit more
than 9 hours... but then everything was as before.

Of course: backup a copy of the database files before you start, just in
case...
--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer