[digiKam-users] How to change the copyright of a 2000 images?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Fri Aug 2 08:36:16 BST 2019

digikam at 911networks.com wrote:
> DK 6.1.0 appimage.
>
> I entered the wrong copyright right on a couple of thousands images.
> They are 2 albums. Very easy to identify.
>
> Album > select the album > ctrl-a (select all) > menu: item > edit
> metadata but it only does it for 1 image at a time.
>
> Do the change > apply > next:  2,000 times :(
>
> Is there a simpler (less painful) way? Or do I have to grep/sed
> through the xmps and replace all the copyright notices.

Im using exiftool on the command line to do this, e.g.:

  exiftool -Copyright="Martin Burnicki" -author="Martin Burnicki" *.jpg

and if everything went OK (I never had a case where it wasn't OK) then
remove the original files:

  rm *orig*

This is on Linux, and the EXIF data is stored in the original .jpg
files. I haven't tried if this also works on Windows, or with .xmp files.

Martin